R.HOUSE offer a complete turnkey solution. We take care of planning permission, building warrant, ground works, utility connections through to your completed house.
What We Do
We will work with you from the start. We will help you decide if a plot is suitable for an R.HOUSE and what the total cost will be based on the options you want.
We build the house for you using our building company James MacQueen Builders – there is no worry about applying for planning permission or building warrant or dealing with builders, contractors and materials. We offer a complete turnkey service.
The pre-fabrication process means critical stages of construction are completed in our factory, giving a controlled building environment where we can achieve the highest levels of build quality compared to a traditional build.
Our range of house types are designed by our architects Rural Design and the multi-finish options give you the flexibility to choose a house that fits both your requirements and budget.
R.HOUSE is a fully project managed construction from Planning Application stage through to final completion and the 6 months defects liability (snagging) period beyond that.
We will prepare and submit your planning permission and building warrant applications and manage your build – making sure that your house build is delivered on time, on budget and to our exacting quality standards.
The advertised price is for the construction of a standard R.HOUSE type and project management and planning as specified on your site*, to the following specification:
- Standard foundations, i.e. concrete strip foundations, with single layer of mesh reinforcement, and 3 courses of blockwork.
- Solid concrete ground floor, with floated finish, on 150mm thick rigid insulation. Typical U-value 0.12W/m²K.
- Supply and erection of highly insulated and air-tight timber frame, complete with floor and roof cassettes. Frame lined internally with rigid insulation, service cavity and 12.5mm thick plasterboard wall linings, taped and filled only. Typical U-values; Walls 0.17W/m²K, Roof 0.1512W/m²K. Air-tightness levels as low as 1.5m³(hxm²)@50Pa.
- 22mm thick chipboard first floor.
- 0.7mm thick Plasticol Coated Galvanised Steel corrugated sheet roofing.
- Lindab ‘Rainline’ aluzinc gutters and downpipes.
- Velux roof double glazed windows, with pine finish.
- Plywood stair (excludes R1).
- 22mm Scottish grown European Larch, board-on-board timber cladding to external walls (or alternatively render board)
- Highly efficient double glazed timber windows and external doors, with factory applied paint finish and an overall U-value of 1.2W/m²K.
- Timber stud internal partitions, with 12.5mm plasterboard linings, taped and filled only.
- Flush plywood, standard core, internal doors, ready for paint finish, with contract range, ironmongery.
- MDF facings and skirtings, primed for paint finish.
- An allowance to select high quality kitchen and bathroom ware from one of our many suppliers.
- Highly efficient Passiv Haus Institute approved Mechanical Ventilation with Heat Recovery System (MVHR).
- Air Source Heat Pump System provides both central and hot water heating.
- Electrical system with contract range, fittings.
* For pricing purposes we have assumed that your site is within Skye & Lochalsh. If your site is outwith this area then please contact us so that we can advise if any additional costs will apply.
What's not included?
As every project is different the following items are not included in the advertised price.
- Statutory Consent Fees, typically Planning Permission and Building Warrant fees, but other consents may be required depending on the nature of your site.
- Site works, e.g. site clearance, site excavation, importing fill, forming accesses, drainage system, service connection charges and trenching, etc.
Before you commit to R.HOUSE we will include our best estimate of these costs in a detailed initial quotation for your individual project. Should you accept this quotation, once in receipt of your initial deposit (5% + Outlays), we will develop your project up, from initial preparation of your planning application, to being ready to start the building works. We will then give you a firm price for the construction works, for you to approve, prior to commencing with the building works.
You can, of course, upgrade your R.HOUSE to your own requirements and taste.
Typical upgrades include:
- Natural slate roof coverings.
- Include the internal decoration in the construction works.
- Add a porch/utility extension.
- Make internal alterations, e.g. open plan ground floor, add an en-suite, split the downstairs bedroom (excluding R.1) into 2 bedrooms, etc.
- Fit fixed floor coverings, e.g. floor tiles, engineered flooring, etc.
- Upgrade the specification of the kitchen.
- Upgrade the specification of the bathroom, including sanitary appliances, fittings and wall tiling.
- Upgrade the windows, e.g. add a window or windows, increase the size of the standard windows or upgrade the window specification to triple glazing and/or aluminium cladding.
- Install solar thermal (hot water) panels, if your site is suitable, i.e. south facing.
- Wood burning stove.
The list of upgrades above is not exhaustive. Talk to us about what you would like to do and we can advise on whether or not it is possible, how much it will add to the cost and any timescale implications. We will include the cost of any upgrades you require in our firm price, mentioned above.